“Tree for Every Delawarean Initiative” Aims to Plant One Million Trees
Photos at Delaware Forest Service Flickr Album
Governor John C. Carney, Jr. celebrated the 150th Anniversary of Arbor Day at Rehoboth Elementary School by spotlighting his “Tree for Every Delawarean Initiative” in a ceremony attended by members of the General Assembly, state and local officials, schoolchildren, and their families. Governor Carney recognized two of Delaware’s 14 Tree City USA communities – the City of Rehoboth Beach for 31 years and Dover Air Force Base for 30 years – and also honored student winners in the annual Arbor Day School Poster Contest. The event culminated with the planting of 10 native trees on the school campus.
Featured speakers included Rehoboth Elementary Principal Dr. Doris Person, Rehoboth Beach Mayor Stan Mills, Education Secretary Dr. Mark Holodick, Agriculture Secretary Michael T. Scuse, DNREC Secretary Shawn Garvin, and Delaware State Forester Michael Valenti. Honored guests included Speaker of the House Peter Schwartzkopf (D-14), Senator Ernesto B. Lopez (R-6), Senator David L. Wilson (R-18), Rep. Stephen Smyk (R-20), and Rehoboth city officials.
“Last year, we introduced Delaware’s Climate Action Plan to confront the threat of climate change on our coastlines and across our state,” said Governor John Carney. “Reducing emissions is essential to improving the state’s environmental health and the Tree for Every Delaware Initiative will help us in this effort.”
“What I love about Arbor Day is that we are teaching our children the importance of trees and the environment not just in theory but with hands-on action. Planting a tree is a simple act that we can do together as a community on a day like today and something many students and their families can do at home or in their community,” Secretary of Education Mark Holodick said.
“Arbor Day is a perfect day to highlight TEDI – the Governor’s Tree for Every Delawarean Initiative – with its goal of planting one million trees, approximately one for every Delawarean,” said DNREC Secretary Shawn M. Garvin. “We encourage Delawareans of all ages to join us in planting trees to reach this goal and help create a healthier planet.”
Delaware State Forester Michael Valenti recognized Mayor Stan Mills and the City of Rehoboth Beach for 31 years as a Tree City USA. Dover Air Force Base accepted recognition from Gov. Carney for its 30 years as a Tree City USA. View the complete list of Delaware’s 14 Tree City USA communities.
“This year’s poster contest theme is “Trees are Terrific – for Today and Tomorrow!” highlighting how trees we plant today ensure a better life for us now and for countless generations to come,” said Secretary of Agriculture Michael T. Scuse. “The Department of Agriculture, the Delaware Forest Service, and its Urban and Community Program work year-round with citizens all over Delaware to harness the power of trees to transform communities. We have a staff of professional foresters who offer technical assistance to help homeowners select the best tree species, plant the right tree in the right place, and learn how to nurture and care for their trees.”
Fifth-grader Lilly Bartlett of Allen Frear Elementary School in Camden was the state winner of the Arbor Day Poster Contest. A record number of entries participated this year: almost 9,500 students from more than 75 schools submitted posters. View the complete gallery at http://de.gov/arbordaypostercontest.
Check out the previous year’s winners:
- View 2022 Arbor Day Poster Winners
- View 2021 Arbor Day Poster Winners
- View 2019 Arbor Day Poster Winners
- View 2018 Arbor Day Contest Winners
- View 2017 Arbor Day Contest Winners
- View 2016 Arbor Day Contest Winners
- View 2015 Arbor Day Contest Winners
- View 2014 Arbor Day Contest Winners
For more information, email: Ashley MelvinArbor Day observances are also an integral part of community recognition programs such as Tree Campus USA, Tree City USA, and Delaware’s Tree Friendly Community Award, as well as qualifying for a financial award from the Urban Grant Program. Past Delaware Arbor Day celebrations:
- Governor Carney Celebrates 150th Arbor Day in Rehoboth Beach
- Governor Carney celebrates 2021 Arbor Day in Rehoboth Beach
- Agriculture Secretary Scuse celebrates Arbor Day at Schutte Park in Dover
- Governor Carney celebrates 2018 Arbor Day at St. Jones Reserve
- Senator Tom Carper celebrates 2017 Arbor Day at Dover Air Force Base
- Governor Markell celebrates 2016 Arbor Day at DDA in Dover
- Governor Markell celebrates 2015 Arbor Day at Appoquinimink
- Governor Markell celebrates 2014 Arbor Day at McIlvaine Early Childhood Center
- Governor Markell celebrates 2013 Arbor Day at Blackbird State Forest
- Governor Markell celebrates 2012 Arbor Day at Delaware State University
- 2013 Arbor Day Celebration in Wilmington