Each year, Delaware celebrates the last Friday in April as “Arbor Day,” an occasion to plant trees and spotlight the numerous natural benefits that trees provide. First established in the United States by J. Sterling Morton in 1872 (almost a hundred years before Earth Day was introduced), an estimated one million trees were planted in Nebraska on the very first Arbor Day. Arbor Day observances are also an integral part of community recognition programs such as Tree Campus USA, Tree City USA, and Delaware’s Tree Friendly Community Award, as well as qualifying for a financial award from the Urban Grant Program.
Many communities and organizations in the First State have announced plans to commemorate Arbor Day throughout April and the first week of May. Here is a list of planned observances and celebrations:
- April 12 – Delaware Center for Horticulture at Rockwood Park, 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- April 18 – Town of Smyrna, Opera House, 5:30pm
- April 20 – Arbor Day and Earth Day Celebration in Rodney Square, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- April 21 – Kent County Parks at Browns Branch Park
- April 27 – Delaware State University, MLK Student Center
- April 27 – City of Lewes, Rollins Community Center, 10 a.m.
- April 27 – Town of Ocean View
- April 27 – City of New Castle
- April 27 – Town of Fenwick Island
- April 27 – Old Growth Forest Network – Celebration in all three counties
- April 27 – Arbor Day Hike – Holt’s Landing, Delaware Seashore State Park
- April 28 – Arden and Ardentown, Indian Circle, 1 p.m.
- April 28 – Arbor Day Celebration – Delaware Museum of Natural History, 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- April 28 – City of Milford – Bug and Bud Festival, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- May 4 – Statewide Arbor Day Ceremony with Gov. Carney at St. Jones Reserve in Dover
Links to Past Celebrations:
- Governor Markell celebrates 2016 Arbor Day at DDA in Dover
- Governor Markell celebrates 2015 Arbor Day at Appoquinimink
- Governor Markell celebrates 2014 Arbor Day at McIlvaine Early Childhood Center
- Governor Markell celebrates 2013 Arbor Day at Blackbird State Forest
- Governor Markell celebrates 2012 Arbor Day at Delaware State University
- 2013 Arbor Day Celebration in Wilmington